Do You Know?
• The U.S. has over 9,400 nuclear weapons. There are 23,300 in the world. 1
• U.S. taxpayers have spent over $5.5 trillion to develop our nuclear arsenal. 2
• Each year U.S taxpayers pay over $52 billion to maintain these weapons. 3
• The U.S. reserves the “right” to use nuclear weapons first. This policy was recently re-affirmed by the Obama Administration. 4
• A nuclear war could be triggered by accident or geopolitical conflict. The “Doomsday Clock” is at 6 minutes to midnight. (Bulletin of Atomic Scientists)
Just See What One Year of Maintaining Nuclear Weapons Could Buy!
• 84 million homes with renewable electricity for one year 5
• One million new green jobs 6
• A reduction of U.S. dependence on oil by 25% over five years 7
• $52 billion for research & development of green technology The Coalition is open to organizational and individual membership and the following groups have participated in past activities:
Global Voices for Justice
Institute for Genetic Medicine Art Gallery
Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace
LA Fellowship of Reconciliation
LA Jews for Peace
Long Beach First Congregational Church
Nuclear Age Peace Foundation
Palisadians for Peace
Physicians for Social Responsibility - LA
Raoul Wallenberg Institute of Ethics
Unity-and-Diversity World Council
South Coast Interfaith Council Social Concerns Committee
Southern California Federation of Scientists
Student Physicians for Social Responsibility
USC College Democrats
(1) Natural Resources Defense Council (2) Nuclear Age Peace Foundation
(3) Carnegie Endowment for Int’l Peace (4) Wall Street Journal, 4/6/10
(5) National Priorities Project (6) The Center for American Progress (7) TrueMajority.
TAKE ACTION 1. Sign our petition to abolish nuclear weapons.
2. Call Senators Feinstein and Boxer and urge them to ratify the START Treaty, the recently negotiated reductions of the U.S. nuclear arsenal. (202) 224-3121
3. Call your Congress member to support HR-2545, “Nuclear Disarmament and Economic Conversion Act.”
4. Join us at LAANDC!
The Los Angeles Area Nuclear Disarmament Coalition with global aims (LAANDC) comes out of a successful Nuclear Disarmament conference that was held on Sep 6, 2008 under the auspices of the Unity-and-Diversity World Council and the Westside Progressives. Both organizations are continuing their interest in the nuclear disarmament issue by promoting the Coalition. (see PDF file)